Understand the role of play in learning.
- Understand that parents are a child’s first and most important playmate.
- Know that all children do most of their early learning through playing.
Discuss the importance of playing
The Tākai video Stay and Play has a wealth of information about the importance of playing.
- It’s specifically aimed at children in their second year – Kahukura, the toddler in the video, was 20 months old at the time of filming.
- It’s also relevant to the first year as well.
Pre-select which sections you will use in the workshop. The video contains the following sections:
- Posting activities – a good clip about the 5 senses
- Posting activities 2
- Stages of play
- Natural resources
- Fun with balls
- Never shake a baby
- Learn through play
- Play and language
- Learn through waiata
Play one section at a time and invite discussion after each. Discussion starters:
- What did you notice?
- What did you already know?
- What have you already done with your child?
- What new information and ideas have you learned?
- What would your child enjoy?
- What new things will you try?