Understand what babies need.
- Observe and read your babies cues.
- Recognise what babies are trying to communicate.
- Be able to respond positively.
Explore what babies need
Watch the Aroha atu, aroha mai video together:
Aroha atu, aroha mai video (external link)– Youtube (English)
Aroha atu, aroha mai video (external link)– Youtube (Māori)
If you can stop and discuss along the way, do so. Otherwise, watch the whole video and discuss at the end.
Have a general conversation to draw out key pieces of information. A few open questions will get the discussion going:
- What are some things babies need?
- How can their whānau help?
- What are some of the main messages in the video?
- What new things did you learn?
- If your friend had a new baby, what would you tell them are the most important things they should do?
- a screen to play video on