The video Look at You – Aroha Atu, Aroha Mai explains what whānau should watch out for in the first 3 months of their baby's life.
Look at You – Aroha Atu, Aroha Mai is a 25-minute video. It’s the first in a series showing how babies are social and communicate right from birth.
The video is an initiative of the Counties Manukau District Health Board. You can watch it online on their website.
The video is aimed at helping parents, whānau and professionals understand and respond to the social and emotional needs of babies in the first 3 months of life.
Watch the video with the whānau, stopping it along the way to discuss it. Or, you may prefer to watch the whole video together and talk about it at the end.
Having a general conversation will draw out key pieces of information. A few open-ended questions should get the discussion going:
- What are some things that babies need?
- How can parents and whānau help baby?
- What are some of the main messages in the video?
- What new things did you learn?
- If you had a friend with a new baby, what would you tell them about the most important things they could do