Why do it?
- ‘Opening and finding’ activities are an opportunity for toddlers to exercise their curiosity by discovering what’s inside a container with a lid.
- When toddlers practise opening and closing a lid this makes new brain connections and strengthens the connections through repetition.
- It also strengthens the relationship between toddler and whānau by sharing a simple, fun activity.
- When whānau use the chance to talk about the activity with the child as well, it strengthens their toddler’s language development.
How to do it
- You’ll need some containers with lids some with hinged lids too. Simple ‘hinges’ can be made by threading and securing string or ribbon between the base and lid. Two hinges will provide and even balance and string needs to be long enough to allow for easy opening and closing.
- Have a selection of interesting items for them to put into the containers, one at a time.
- Start with one container and put in one item. Offer the container to the toddler and invite them to lift the lid and find something interesting.
- If necessary model this first, by saying ‘What’s inside?’ — and acting surprised when you find the item.
- When they start to lose interest, introduce a different container with a new ‘surprise’ inside.
- Notice how a toddler gets better at opening and closing by repeating the action.
|Te reo Māori||English|
|Pouaka pouaka Box Maori | Noun||Box|
|Ipu ipu Container, bowl, vessel, calabash, urn, vase, mug - vessel for holding anything, but especially liquids. Maori | Noun||Container|
|Taupoki taupoki Lid, cover, bottle top Maori | Noun||Lid|
|Huakina Huakina To open, uncover, rise (of the moon), dawn Maori | Verb||Open|
|Kati kati To close, shut, close up, block up, obstruct Maori | Verb||Close|
|He tāre||A doll|
|Ētahi mātiti||Some pegs|
|Kimihia kimihia To look for, seek, search, hunt for Maori | Verb||Look for, search|
|E kimi ana au mō he...||I'm looking for...|
|Huakina te taupoki||Open the lid|
|Katia te taupoki||Close the lid|
|Huakina te pouaka||Open the box|
|Whakahokia te taupoki||Put the lid back on|
|E hia ngā Ipu kei konei?||How many containers are here?|
|E rua ngā Ipu||Two containers|
|He aha kei roto?||What's inside?|
|Me titiro||Have a look|
|Kei te kite ahau he...||I see a...|
|He aha tēnei?||What is this?|
|Kōrero mai||Talk to me|
|Kātahi te tamaiti mōhio, ko koe||What a clever kid you are|