Helping around the house Activity
Involvement in family activities is the beginning of creativity and imaginative play.
Why do it?
- It gives tamariki a sense of belonging.
- It builds skills they can learn and start to learn what adults do.
How to do it
- Make it easy and fun.
- Let children do it their way.
- Help them to make choices.
Small children can:
- stir things while you hold the bowl
- stand by you at the bench to cut vegetables or dry dishes
- put spoons and other things on the table
- help gather vegetables
- fetch a nappy or powder for baby
- take a message to someone else in the house
- push the light switch or television button on or off
- find the other shoe
- go outside with you for the mail and carry it in
- pass you the pegs when you’re hanging out washing
- help with the dusting
- put things in the rubbish bin.