Head to the beach to make sandy drawings with your tamariki.
Why do it?
- It gives tamariki opportunities to be creative.
- Grow their skills and confidence in drawing through practice — repetition of actions strengthens pathways in their brain.
- Strengthen the practice of going from left to right, which helps with both reading and writing.
- Strengthen the fine muscles in their hands and fingers, which will help them when they start writing letters and numbers.
How to do it
You’ll need: some soft sand (or dirt), large sticks.
- Go to the beach! Find a flat patch of sand near thewater.
- If you can, write your name or special messages.
- Use your sticks to draw pictures.
- Share what you like about each other’s then watch them wash away.
Using more te reo Māori