We can find many things, like lids to play and learn with in our homes.
Why do it?
- Posting items through a slot develops children’s hand–eye co-ordination.
- It also encourages problem solving — in this activity, the lid will only fit through the slot at a certain angle.
- Success with using the tongs gives children a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment, and that builds confidence.
- It strengthens hand-eye co-ordination as the child needs to carefully watch what’s being picked up and where it’s being put.
- Using scissors is an opportunity to increase a child’s awareness of the need to use cutting tools carefully and safely.
Using more te reo Māori
|Te reo Māori||English|
|Kupu kupu Word, vocabulary, saying, talk, message, statement, utterance, lyric Maori | Noun||Word|
|Miraka miraka Milk Maori | Noun||Milk|
|Taupoki taupoki Lid, cover, bottle top Maori | Noun||Lid|
|Kēmu kēmu Game, match Maori | Noun||Game|
|Pīnohi pīnohi To use tongs Maori | Verb||Tongs|