Have a jokey journey with your tamariki, either on the way home or to the supermarket. Take turns choosing actions and decide whether to jump, skip, or kick. It will get them interested in counting, improve their listening skills, and strengthen muscles.
Why do it?
- Using large muscles helps to strengthen them.
- Children’s confidence increases as more motor skills are learned.
- Physical activity relieves stress, especially if the activity involves large muscles and big movements.
Counting is a chance for tamariki to:
- get interested in counting things in their daily lives
- start to remember the order of number words used in counting, through repetition
- learn to count in the language of their whānau.
Using more te reo Māori
|Te reo Māori