Understanding what causes us stress, and identifying strategies to avoid it or help with it.
- Identify stressors and their possible causes.
- Develop strategies for keeping calm during parenting challenges.
Brainstorm the things that cause stress
As a group, brainstorm the things that stress people most about their parenting. Record the ideas on a whiteboard or flip chart.
Each participant then rates their top 3 stressors on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the most stressful).
In pairs, discuss:
- What are your stressors and why have you rated them as you have?
- What might be some of the causes of these stressors for you?
Share with the full group and discuss the common stressors:
- Is there a top three across the full group?
- Are the likely causes of each stressor common too?
Identify strategies for dealing with stress
In pairs or small groups:
- Discuss what might be happening in our brains during these times.
- Think about possible strategies to a) avoid stress, or b) alleviate stress.
Small groups can share with the bigger group to create a shared list of strategies for everyone.
- You could also type up the list of strategies to hand out at the next session.
Ask parents to draw up their own list of strategies.
- Give out Tākai magnets to hang up the strategies on their fridges at home.